Sunday, September 23, 2012

Succeeding in Talking

Day one of my conversation club was deemed a success.  This is my first project to create and direct solo.  My main objectives while in Costa Rica are to improve the English teachers' English and teaching methods.

To accomplish the first goal, I am giving a 40 hour English conversation club each semester.  I have a group for my primary school teachers and high school teachers.  Starting next year, there is talk of facilitating a beginner and advance club.
The first day did not go without bumps along the way but overall it was great.  The first day focused on getting to know the teachers (16 in each group).  We played a couple of games, laughed, and of course, talked.
The conversation club will cover topics ranging from favorite food and childhood memory to what makes someone a learner or teacher.  This is my baby.  How, I enjoyed rocking that thing solo (with the occasional help from the Hubs).


The participants spoke more than I have ever heard them in any workshop I have been at and I got to know them more personally.
I believe this is a sustainably project because of two reasons.  The teachers are gaining confidence in their English and as they do that they will speak more English in their classroom thus providing more opportunities for their students to hear and speak English.  And the other is even if my counterpart isn't able to do this after I leave, I can see some of the participants doing this on their own at their schools or elsewhere.
After all the frustration of preparing this course (I had to change and add things to fit the expectations of MEP), I feel like this will be a favorite project of mine.  I plan on doing this for two groups once every semester.  And the teachers earn a few extra colones a month for participating!

If you have any topic ideas, let me know.  I am always up to improving and hearing new ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment