Friday, February 24, 2012

Entering

We have been in country for 2 1/2 days now.  We had our first language class today, and I was scared to death.  I didn't understand the majority of what was said, however, I was able to (incorrectly) answer a question and make up a story of mi gato.  We have a wonderful support system here including our language teachers which is wonderful when I am struggling to speak the language.

I have been so encouraged by our training team especially regarding my ability to communicate in Spanish.  Plus, the Hubs said he will no longer translate for me.  I will learn.

The language experience is eye opening.  I am in the novice class and feeling extremely lost, but this has helped me understand what my students feel when they are drowning in their class(es) at school.  I hope to use this experience in my Tico and future classrooms.

Our first few days have been at a retreat center learning the policies and goals of Peace Corp.

Here are a few pictures:
Our suite for the retreat. 

This is the restaurant where we are fed wonderful food. 

Our view. 

Our classroom. 

Feeling good 2 days in.  
Most of Tico 23 waiting for our 2nd flight (after getting up before 2 am).  I think we look pretty good. 

1 comment:

  1. I remember how hard it was to feel, well, stupid - because I couldn't speak to people the summer I lived in Mexico. My identity fell into crisis. I find much of my identity in being articulate, and that clearly wasn't working for me! Hang in there, sista!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete