Monday, May 20, 2013

S-P-E-L-L-I-N-G Bees

Since April, my life has been taken over by conversation clubs and Spelling Bees.

Spelling Bees were first introduced last year by a small group of Peace Corps Volunteers and it was so successful that more regions of Costa Rica are participating!  This is the first year that my region is participating.  Last year, spelling bees were done in schools that only had volunteers, but this year we are encouraging more schools to participate.

In my region there are 24 schools participating and only four have volunteers currently working there in some capacity.  Since I work at the central office for my area, I am in charge of coordinating the different competitions as well as be an honored guest to as many competitions as I can.

While this is a huge (and sometimes frustrating) project, I have enjoyed seeing the students have success in spelling words in their second language.  That is correct, students are competing in a spelling bee in their second language.

I have seen students spell words correctly that they had not studied, students talk to me in English, and teachers present the whole competition in English.  This is the first time, that I have gotten to go to many of these schools and it is so cool to see how the teachers work and interact with their students.

This is a great project.

I will leave you with pictures from each spelling bee that I have been lucky enough to be a part of.









Telling them they all advanced to the next level











A friend, who is not participating, is helping him study for the bee 


No comments:

Post a Comment