Saturday, May 26, 2012

Cutting cake and hair

We have finished week 2 of being PCVs and I am glad it is the weekend!  This weekend we are celebrating our Host Dad's 66th birthday in style...going to the beach!  Then cena complete with arroz con  pollo and of course que que (cake)!  This man does not look or act almost 66.  He still rides his bike everywhere, climbs on cars to put the TV in our room, and creates wonderful pieces of art.

This weekend the Hubs and I celebrated a first...the first hair cut done by me.  My lovely husband trusted me to remember what our precious hairdresser at home (M) said about trimming his hair.  It has been 3 months since his last one and he needed it.  Trust me M, we were desperate...
So there we were, the Hubs sitting in the shower, me cutting and combing every which way.  Even sacrificed a knuckle in the process.  But I think the Hubs sacrificed more than I did.  He has to walk around with the hair I cut.  I only cringe when I look at his left side burn.  The side burn that has a line of no hair because I got trimmer happy.  
(I made him hide the left sideburn)

But the Hubs is a wonderful man.  He laughs and smiles when I stare at the left side of his head.  As I apologize and cry he holds my face in his hands and tells me he LOVES his haircut.  If the roles were switched I would be throwing a fit and refusing to leave the room.  But no, the man I married smiles his big, beautiful smile and assures me he doesn't care.  

We are beginning our third week and getting comfortable with our family and roles in the community.  (I am even learning my way around town!)  This week is going to bring fiestas, time with friends, a new town to explore, the completion of another workshop, and more teaching.  Can't wait!

PS  Check this out...http://www.ticotimes.net/Current-Edition/News-Briefs/Costa-Rica-welcomes-new-Peace-Corps-volunteers-_Monday-May-14-2012#.T7LIc2wHhKg.facebook 

It's an article about Tico 23 in the English version of one of the biggest newspapers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment